Thursday, March 22, 2012

Goin' on a fabric hunt

A little excursion to Charleston, SC for an Elton John concert was a great excuse to check out the local fabric shops since I'm new to the South.  The concert was amazing, as Elton always is. 

The next day I searched a quilt shop and found one just down the street from the old market. 
People, Places & Quilts has two locations.  One in Charleston and one in Summerville (which was on the way home...YAY!).  The Charleston location was a cute little shop, but more on the small side.  They carried a lot of the Kaffe Fassett collection.  I saw a lot of historical reproductions, too.  I was told about the Summerville Shop (which is their sister store) and decided to check out it.  Wow, I'm sure glad I did!

The People, Places & Quilts is located in an old hardware store and has cute painted rocking chairs outside on the front "porch"...okay, sidewalk.  Right when I walked in the door, I was really excited.(I haven't been in a quality quilt shop since I moved to South Carolina.)    Creeky, old wooden floors with many rooms and long hallways. This looked like a much larger shop and had tons of fabrics to look at.  I could touch and feel everything.  Fabric is my crack.  I love it.
The one thing I really liked about this shop was the fat quarter selection.  They had almost everything ready to go, which is great when you just want to pick up some new fabrics to play with or collect.  There were sofas and a nice reading area (or a place for the men to wait) with tons of patterns and books.   My little stash (below) was a collection of different periwinkle and green fabrics.   They had several cutting tables and people to help.  I loved the pretty baskets they gave you to carry your fabrics up to the antique cash register.  A sweet touch :)
Glad I stopped....really nice shop.

Summerville was a really cute old town.  When you get off the freeway, there's the normal stuff like chain stores and restaurants.  Drive down about a mile or two and you'll end up in the old downtown.  I stopped in a large antique shop.  I found a few things, that I still regret not getting, but drove the car (instead of the truck) that weekend.  Can't wait to go back.  I'll let you know when I find my next place :)

No comments:

Post a Comment